Help keep Wisconsin’s roadsides beautiful!
WisDOT initiated the Adopt-A-Highway program to allow groups to volunteer and support the state’s anti-litter program in a more direct way. Adopt-A-Highway helps:
- Reduce litter along Wisconsin’s highways
- Build statewide support for the anti-litter and highway beautification programs
- Educate the traveling public to properly dispose of litter
- Enhance the environment and beautify Wisconsin’s roadsides
- Each qualified group takes responsibility for litter control on approximately a two-mile segment of state highway.
- The group picks up litter on this segment at least three times per year between April 1 and November 1.
- The Adopt-A-Highway program emphasizes safety. It is important to be very careful when working on the roadsides. For more information, view the Adopt-A-Highway Safety page.
- Groups do not work in dangerous areas like medians, bridges, or steep slopes.
- Work is permitted until the group notifies the department of their intent to abandon their segment.